Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Island Pie

We're home from Hawaii, but I guess we aren't quite over our vacation! We had a pie contest at church this past week, and rather than making something tried-and-true, I decided to make something I'd never even tasted. Maybe not the best strategy for a contest, but this recipe kept the island vibe alive....

This is my Prize Winning Entry! Coconut Mac Nut Pie with Coconut Cream.....


Before the contest, I tried a couple of different placemats for display options, since one of the prizes was for presentation, which is the prize I won... I opted for the bamboo mat in the pic below for my entry, along with sea shells from my art box. The whipped coconut cream was served in one of my recent Value Village http://www.valuevillage.com/ finds, and the ruffled dish, white bowl and silver pie server are from other VV thrift shopping adventures.

Kate asked about my prize- I won a SILPAT mat for non-stick cooking, an apple green (my current favorite color) silcone spatula by Le Creuset, and a BEST Balloon Whip, all from Sur la Table. http://www.surlatable.com/ COOL!)

This pie is similar to pecan pie- sweet and VERY rich. And you won't want to skip the coconut cream- I have to say, it's worth every calorie!

(Macadamia nuts are a bit pricey, but I saved about $2 by buying the macadamia nuts in the bulk food section instead of the prepackaged ones.)

Coconut & Mac Nut Pie with Coconut Cream

adapted from Marshall Islands Macadamia Nut Pie by Linda Waddy, allrecipes.com

Your favorite recipe for a 9-inch single pie crust shell, unbaked
2/3 C. coconut, divided
2 C. coarsely chopped raw (or lightly salted) macadamia nuts
4 eggs
1 C. light corn syrup
1/2 C. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. rum flavoring
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. heavy whipping cream
3 T. cream of coconut
1/2 tsp. coconut flavoring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Press 1/3 C. coconut into bottom and sides of unbaked pie shell.
In large bowl, mix eggs, corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, rum flavoring, and salt until well blended.
Fold in nuts. Pour into pie shell.
Sprinkle remaining coconut over top or around the filling edge next to crust rim.
Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325, and continue to bake until top is brown and filling is set, about 30-35 minutes more. Let pie cool.

To make topping: Whip cream to soft peaks. Gradually add cream of coconut and coconut flavoring, whipping just until incorporated.
Slice pie into small wedges, serve with the coconut cream, and enjoy a taste of the islands! (Then plan on doing some extra hula workouts...)

3 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! Shame I cannot pop round to give it the taste test :-) Congratulations on your prize!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds DELICIOUS!!!! Great presentation! I'm not surprised you got the prize....and did you win anything for it??
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your win! I saw your circle quilt on flicker and I've had fun going through your blog. Been wanting to do something with circles forever..... I'm easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete