Wednesday, April 6, 2011

More Red and White

What a gift this show was! I loved this display of quilts on the back wall, with lighting that changed periodically to highlight the quilts individually.

Do you know the story of how this show came to be? Joanna Semel Rose was asked by her husband what she would like for her 80th birthday. She said, "Something I've not seen before and something that would be a gift for New York City."


And this show is the result. She says she wasn't a collector, but more of a treasure hunter, buying quilts at flea markets during the 1950s. She had no idea how many red and white quilts she owned, but knew seeing them all together like this would be an ideal gift. She was so right!!




It was like entering quilted towers...


The show was beautifully hung in the soaring space. (There was a lecture on the installation which I would have loved to attend, but it was held the day before we arrived.) It truly was an inspired design with the quilts floating and approachable.







The unity created by the colors and the circular arrangements, and the variety of the indiviual quilts! Loved it!!



Make it a Wonderful Day!



4 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures. I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing the photos of the show!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would loved to have been able to see it in person! It looks amazing. What an amazing collection, thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how lucky you got to go! Thanks for sharing your pictures, I really like the quilt in pictures 7 & 8, very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! That must have been breathtaking. What a very cool way to display those pieces. jan

    ReplyDelete