Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Update on The Weaving Project


We continue to get lots of positive feedback on our installation at the Bellevue Arts Museum.

This is our wall of 500, made by students at Alcott, Dickinson, Rosa Parks, Explorer, and Redmond High School, along with friends and family too.


This smaller piece of 64 weavings are the some of the ones I made...


And these are some of the HUNDREDS made by visitors to the museum.  Visitors are invited to make one and add it to the installation, but most artists wanted to take their treasures home with them. This wall now has over 300, so it's getting to be almost as large as our installation of 500 on the adjacent wall.


The Weaving Project is on display until December 1st, FEBRUARY 2nd!!!! so you still have time to make a CD weaving to add to the piece.

It's been gratifying to hear from people around the world who are making CD weavings! It enlarges the idea of community that I hoped the project would express. Thank you to those of you who have taken time to let me know- I've heard from or seen the work of students, teachers, and individuals in Israel, Colombia, Australia, and many states in the United States. Wouldn't it be awesome to see them all together?

We are looking for another display opportunity once the show closes at BAM, so let me know if you have any ideas.


Make it a Wonderful Day!




15 comments:

  1. I love this project!! I have these plastic circular grid things that can be sewn into that I ordered some time ago. I thought I would be inspired but nothing had hit me until I saw this. This is a perfect idea!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to inspire! I'd love to see what you come up with. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. So Amazing, I applaud you and am completely inspired by you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely installation! How are they attached to each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are attached to each other with clear twist ties. I cut 5" ones in half.

      Delete
  4. How do you weave on a CD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my CD weaving tutorial on this blog. :D

      Delete
  5. Our 2nd graders are weaving CD's to auction at our upcoming fundraiser. As the finished product needs to be mobile, do you have any suggestions re: mounting a 5x5 unit? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry I missed your question. I hope you worked it out! I took my piece of 64 to a framer who sewed them to the backing and then framed them in a frame deep enough to keep them from touching the glass. The framing included matting, but it wouldn't have to. Framing is expensive, so an alternative might be to paint or stain wood the size you need and then glue each CD to the board in a grid.

      Delete
  6. how did you mount them to the wall? Glued to back? small nails? I am doing this project with seniors and it is turning out fabulously and almost ready for installation....can't wait....outside for the summer for the sun to hit the silver and then inside for the winter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you figure out a way to hang them?? Sorry, I've been away from my blog!! We attached them in columns with twist ties. Each column was push-pinned to the wall, but you could use a looped twist tie and hang each column from a nail. :D

      Delete
  7. Can you share what process you used to connect the CD's and hang them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I haven't responded till now! I connected them with clear twist ties, using the warp yarns already on the CDs. Then each column is hung on the wall by a push pin. To keep them from twisting, you can use "L" nails occasionally- they are available at hardware stores. You can hammer them in where needed using the hole in the center of the CD with the L holding the CD flat against the wall.

      Delete
  8. Love this project! I am collecting old cds to do this with my 6th graders and will hang in the stairwell of our newly remodeled building!

    ReplyDelete